Policy & Research Coordinator
- Phoenix, AZ
Arizona Center for Empowerment (ACE), and its sister organization, Living United for Change in Arizona (LUCHA), are progressive, grassroots, community-based organizations engaged in and committed to building power throughout communities in Arizona. At ACE, we work to ensure that everyone has access to the American Dream by amplifying the voices of low- and moderate-income communities, communities of color, and immigrant population through collective action.
We work to hold government and corporations accountable, improve the health of our families, economy and environment, and reform our public schools, workplaces and financial institutions.
We are seeking an energetic advocate to help support and develop local, statewide and federal strategies and campaign on our Criminal Justice priorities, especially as it concerns helping the formerly and currently incarcerated.
About the Position
Arizona Center for Empowerment is hiring a Policy & Research Coordinator to assist with research and writing projects, especially among its Criminal Justice Reform priorities. This person will research, write and report on policy projects to inform the membership and organizers at ACE and LUCHA. The position will work alongside ACE/LUCHAs organizers and other staff to help develop and drive an effective message and tone.
The Policy & Research Coordinator will also work on other research-based initiatives to help inform and direct resources for ACEs other issues at the state and federal legislatures. These include protecting Arizonas Minimum Wage, small business, economic justice and working toward racial and social equity. Also, the position will integrate with other staff to assist with issue-based campaigns and amplify their message through traditional and digital community organizing tactics.
The Policy & Research Coordinator will:
- Work withACE/LUCHA leadership and allies to develop and execute strategies to advance its Criminal Justice and other programs;
- Serve as one of the primary ACE/LUCHA contacts on criminal justice work;
- Develop policy expertise and help develop grassroots member engagement tools around business and criminal justice reform;
- Work with ACE/LUCHA leadership to develop education and training that grows thegrassroots policy knowledge and leadership of ACE/LUCHA core leaders on key criminal justice reforms; and
- Work to expand the participation and leadership of ACE/LUCHAs membership and communities of color in state and local advocacy efforts to advance proactive criminal justice reforms;
- Engage with and analyze data for research on Criminal Justice and other issue-based campaigns;
- Stay up to date on modern Criminal Justice Policy both in Arizona and nationally;
- Engage with other state-wide and national Criminal Justice leaders;
- Assist and help facilitate programmatic curriculum and classroom presence around Criminal Justice;
- Research, draft and write periodic programmatic reports;
- Ability to adhere to strict deadlines and report back outcomes.
We are seeking candidates with excellent relationship-building skills, who are outcome-driven, with strong and diverse issue advocacy skills. Ideal candidates should have demonstrated experience in the following:
- A commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing the formerly incarcerated and other impacted communities;
- Minimum of 4 years of strategic issue advocacy or policy experience including policy campaigns, state-level issue advocacy and/or lobbying and legislative advocacy;
- Familiarity with criminal justice reform and community organizing tactics;
- Experience working with the formerly incarcerated;
- Experience building and teaching;
- Comfort with writing and editing work product;
- Excellence in writing;
- Should be self-starting;
- Understands the nuances of credible sources and research materials;
- Excellent at building purposeful personal relationships;
- Work driving project and programs to completion;
- Understanding of issues facing the formerly incarcerated, especially low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color;
- Familiarity with political data, latest technologies, and best practices;
- Comfort with the implementation of a range of organizing strategies and tactics;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills, with a results-focused approach;
- Ability to work well with diverse groups and populations;
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours;
- Spanish/English bilingual preferred but not required; and
- Formerly incarcerated, Women, People of Color and LGBQT strongly urged to apply.
Compensation will be competitive, and commensurate with experience. ACE provides excellent medical benefits including dental and vision, along with an employee assistance program and company-paid life insurance.
Job Type: Full-time
- Lobbying and legislative advocacy: 4 years (Required)
- Working with the formerly incarcerated: 2 years (Preferred)
- Strategic issue advocacy or policy: 4 years (Required)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Paid time off